Not surprisingly, yesterday’s demonstration for a Catalan independence vote made it to the covers of most Spanish media outlets. Most of them highlighted the mounting pressure that the president of Catalonia, Artur Mas, is facing in order to keep the promise of the proindependence parties to hold a referendum on separation from Spain next November 9, 2014. Here are the main headlines, translated:
- El Mundo: Independentism takes to the streets: “Mr. Mas, set the voting boxes”.
- El País: Sovereigntists attain their goal on the streets to prolong the challenge
- ABC: Mas appropriates the Diada [Catalan national day] to impose his illegal referendum
- La Razón: The Catalan National Assembly pushes Artur Mas towards civil disobedience with a massive “V”
- El Correo: Catalonia heading towards early election after new pro-independence clamour
- Diario de Sevilla: Secessionism takes to the streets
- Deia: Listen up, Rajoy!
- El Diario Vasco: Massive support to the referendum