The Collbaix hikers identify the alleged supposed victim of the Balsareny as their aggressor

Catalan MonitorNews Roundup

Photo: The man who aggressed the hikes at Collbaix, seen from the back, has now been identified. (photo: CEVilafranca)

The group of senior citizens at the Excursionist Center of Vilafranca del Penedès who on Wednesday, November 22nd, hiked to the summit of the Collbaix, identified Jordi Cervantes as the author of the video and the serious insults they received while trying to take a picture with a Catalan flag.

Jordi Cervantes is the resident of Balsareny who on Saturday morning complained that one or more individuals tried to burn the Spanish flag hanging on the balcony of his house and that when they did not manage to get it, proceeded to make a fire at entrance door of his building. This is the version of the story told to the media, but which was not told to the Mossos d’Esquadra (Catalan Police). Bear in mind that a false report to the police can have criminal consequences.

One of the members of the hiking group has confirmed to Nació Manresa that the recognition of Jordi Cervantes as the perpetrator of the offense was possible thanks to the photographs that the individual posted on his Facebook page, and that last week they had returned to the police station in Vilafranca del Penedès to add details to the initial complaint, by adding an identification of the culprit.

A suspicious chronology

In just over a month and a half, Jordi Cervantes has been implicated in three events related to supposed attacks by pro-independence supporters, on him, or members of his family – all of which have had no empirical evidence to support them.

In mid-October he filed a complaint with the Mossos d’Esquadra for an alleged assaulting on his son in Balsareny by the hands of a pro-independence supporter. According to his story, his 11-year-old son was taken by the neck by an adult for removing posters for the Balsareny’s Committee for the Defense of the Republic (CDR).

The version of the story told by witnesses to Nació Manresa was notably different. Witnesses asserted that it had in fact been the minor who, when seeing that the man in question was re0-hanging the torn posters, came towards him and his family yelling “serious insults” and that, later, caused damages to the door of his house by striking it with a bottle.

According to the chronology, on November 22nd, a group from the Vilafranca del Penedès Excursion Center was threatened and insulted by an individual with a dog at the top of the Collbaix while trying to take a photo holding a star. At that time they did not identify him, but later, thanks to the social networks, they identified Jordi Cervantes. The identification was added to the complaint made and filed with the Mossos d’Esquadra.

The fact that the agressor was a man out for sport at Collbaix and who was dressed in sports clothing further supports the identification as Cervantes, taking into account that the Balsarenyan is a prominent athlete in his discipline, boxing, and still participates in amateur bouts. Peculiarly, the video of the insults which went viral on social networks, was recorded by the offending person, and not by the victims, for use denouncing him. This suggests that the individual, rather than recording his own actions, was probably hoping for an angry reaction to the insults, from pro-independence supporters – a reaction he did not get.

Finally, last Saturday, one or more individuals alledgedly attempted to burn the Spanish flag Cervantes has hanging on the balcony of his home in Balsareny, and upon failing to do so started a small fire at the door of his building with paper. Despite the seriousness of these events, by Saturday night Cervantes had not yet presented a complaint to the Mossos d’Esquadra (Catalan Police), but had found the time to gather a dozen of his friends and go to the house of the Mayor, Isidre Viu, to burn Catalan flags at his gate, and besiege his family by constantly ringing the doorbell. The mayor was in fact not at home at that time.

To finish off, Cervantes is a very close to Raul Macià Pastor, who himself was sentenced to 10 years in jail for crimes against public health – drug trafficking – and theft, in Lledoners penitentiary. He was implicated in the removal of a separatist sign in Sallent City Council, and the hosting of a Spanish flag. He was since been returned to prison, since he was on probation at the time of these incidents.

Original Text: https://www.naciodigital.cat/manresa/noticia/71983/excursionistes/collbaix/reconeixen/suposada/victima/balsareny/autor/dels/insults/van/rebre

Share!